Monday, November 26, 2007

Working With The Marymount College DEIR

I hope folks got a chance to read the article concerning the Marymount College's Draft Environmental Impact Report, for an expansion project that has been considered for quite some time now.

I have decided to move comments, questions, answers, and readers' comments from this blog to one of my other blogs, with a really long URL: http://miravistaranchopalosverdes.blogspot.com/

As the process for reading and commenting on the DEIR progresses, it would be better to keep this issue on a blog that is more concerned with Rancho Palos Verdes, I feel.

On the other blog, I will try my best to answer questions as objectively as I can. The DEIR is very long and we have until January to submit comments, concerning the DEIR and the proposed expansion of facilities at the campus.

As I hope you read in the Daily Breeze article, there are already folks who are opposed to the expansion as it is laid out in the DEIR and many individuals seek to have one of the alternatives to the plan, approved.

I do feel that everyone living on the south and east side of The Hill, including those neighbors who live close to Western Avenue, in San Pedro, may want to read the DEIR and create their own opinions on the matters.

If individuals want to really get into the Marymount DEIR, it might be a good idea to consider reading the work of the Western Avenue Task Force. The documents, findings, and recommendations came out before Ponte Vista was able to be considered by the volunteers and creators of the documents, and it appears there has never been a real challenge to the findings and/or recommendations made by the Task Force. I found the work they did and the work I read to be very valuable as a great starting point to learn about traffic issues along Western Avenue.

On the Mira Vista blog, I would like folks to ask questions that folks can look for answers to, make comments about the DEIR and their opinions about the expansion project, and share with others what they feel should be shared.

Everyone has a right to create comments to be submitted to the Rancho Palos Verdes Planning Department and Planning Commission, about the project. I will submit my own comments after I finish studying the DEIR. I am not going to make my comments known before the end of the comment period and I am going to be as objective as I can be.

Let's see what supporters and opponents of the expansion project have to say and not get in their way of saying it. It would be wrong for anyone to think or feel that I am either a supporter or an opponent of the expansion project. As it is, I haven't had the time to do an adequate review of the DEIR and I don't think I will want to swing one way or the other, until the comment period has ended.

I know Mr. Tom Redfield, the gentleman who was in the article, in the Daily Breeze. I haven't talked to him about this particular issue and it would be incorrect to think I agree with him.

Folks should also know that I am a Rancho Palos Verdes Traffic Safety Commissioner and our Commission will have a public hearing on the issue on December 10, 2007, beginning at 7:00 PM in the R.P.V. Council Chambers at Hesse Park, in Rancho Palos Verdes. Everyone is welcome to come and make their own comments about the expansion issue. We will listen, take notes, and consider what folks really think about the project.

So I am remaining as unbiased as I can on the expansion issue. But as a Traffic Commissioner, folks should know that I am very concerned about traffic issues in Rancho Palos Verdes and surrounding communities.

No comments: