Saturday, June 09, 2007

Thank You All For Visiting!

I continued to be amazed! Tonight at 5:09 PM, someone visiting from stsn.net became the 10,000th visitor to this blog. That number of visits is completely beyond any dream or wish I could have had when I first published this blog last September, as basically a whim.

There certainly has not been anywhere close to 10,000 folks who have spent any real time viewing this blog, but if only 4,000 visitors stayed long enough to read at least one post, it is still far beyond what I could have imagined would happen.

Who knows where this goes from here? I will try to do my best to bring all the correct and factual information I can to this blog, while still understanding that many, many opinions count and should be read that may differ from mine. I also understand that this blog does put a spin on the Ponte Vista at San Pedro issues. My current spin, if you will, is to consider only R1 as the best option for everyone in San Pedro and the surrounding communities. If a specific plan could be created for a number of units that totaled less than 429 units, I would also entertain that idea, but that is about as likely as the moon rising in the west, I feel.

I have had many ideas presented on this blog for what should be built at Ponte Vista and I always welcome more ideas from everyone. The idea for 1,700 total units, an idea for 1,500 total units, an idea for an all-senior Ponte Vista, and my former idea for 700 Senior Housing units, with the remainder of the build able land set aside for single-family, detached houses, with the majority of them being on 5,000 square foot lots, has been read my hundreds and thousands of visitors.

Most folks have known for most of the time that 2,300 units were not acceptable by opponents or Mr. Bisno and even some supporters. The R1 group was born and grew at what many of us think was an astounding rate, simply because Bob wouldn't move on the 2,300-unit idea soon enough. Some of us who were looking for compromise for most of the time tried in vain to get Bob to lower his numbers much sooner than he now plans to do. It may be too late, now. Other issues have come up which Bob may have contributed to that have many of us having to take the stand we take for more reasons than it is probably the best for all of us. Bob and the folks on the West side of L.A., seeking to recall their Councilman, may have started a tiny campaign, at this time, for all of L.A. to re-examine development of large properties, such as Ponte Vista.

Hold firm even when Bob brings out his new plan is still a must, I feel. Unless Mr. Bisno does something like calling for 1,000 or less units, I think any plan he comes up with will further ingrain many individuals to continue to demand that the site remain with its current zoning of R1.

It might not be incorrect to think of the June 18 rollout of Mr. Bisno's "new" plan as the middle of the beginning, I feel. With this second proposal coming, we should get a good look at what his trend might be and if he is willing to think lower numbers in any third proposal that may come along. It would be understandable for the R1 folks to continue to demand keeping R1 at the site, throughout and I can't blame the really hard-core supporters or R1, for demanding that. Since it has only been two weeks since I signed the R1 petition, if would be fair to continue to think of me as the "oddball" of the steering committee. I have entertained ideas that call for Ponte Vista to have a higher population density than R1 would afford, but since I came out, I can't find any real reason to cross back into the compromise arena.

Thank you again to all the visitors to this blog.

Mark Wells, aka M Richards, Sven Ludvquist O'Brien, Nels, and Gus.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even if you hold at R-1, you won't get 429 homes. You'll get about 550 with variances and density bonus, and Bisno won't be building it. He'll probly break up the lot into smaller parcels, each one claiming its own bonuses and variances and with no unifying plan.Everyone needs to keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

won't king bisno need to gey permission to do this?

Anonymous said...

The density bonus for the site, if applied for and accepted, would allow for up to 536 dwellings.

In a specific plan, any number of units could be approved of, including a number even less than 536, 429, or even 400.

What might happen if Bisno does not get what he wants, and decides to sell off parcels? I imagine after seeing what has happened in this area, and what is happening on the west side, might probably put the crimps on any developer thinking about buying parcels at Ponte Vista.

The R1 folks aren't going to watch Bob hightail it out of town and let other developers try to put over development there, I would imagine.