Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Chamber, the Reporting, and Where I Shopped

I still don't agree that the San Pedro and Peninsula Chamber of Commerce should have endorsed any development that excludes the opportunity to build R1 zoned housing. That is basically what the Chamber did.

I did find that the reporting of the actions by the Board of Directors, including most basic information about the motion passed, was sloppy. I don't understand why the same reporter who didn't seem to get the adopted motion correct was sent back to do a second article that still, in my opinion, was sloppy.

I did what I suggested should be done with this matter. I wrote a letter to the editor of the Daily Breeze and I was a bit cranky to a business owner at a Chamber-member store.

On July 21, at approximately 12:05 AM, I bought the third "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" book sold at Williams Book Store, in San Pedro. I did state to the owner that I was displeased with the Chamber's actions and we had a chat about that while I waited in line to buy the book Terri has already begun reading.

So I think I was honest in what I suggested. I wrote, spoke, was a bit cranky, but in the end it was a great time waiting with lots of folks for 12:01 AM to roll around. With Williams Book Store you must realize that you will not find the seventh volume of the saga at reduced prices. The deluxe edition will set you back about $70.00 and the regular edition is about $37.88 with tax. But hey, it is a favorite business in San Pedro and the member businesses need folks to shop in them for their survival. I don't think harming local merchants because of what their Board of Directors did is a good thing. What is a good thing is to let those member-merchants know you are not happy with their organization and that you would like them to relay to the Board of Directors, our displeasure with their actions.

No comments: