Saturday, July 14, 2007

Elevating Another Thoughtful Comment

Today I am proud to elevate to post status a comment received from an anonymous contributor.

It seems that folks might wish to avoid reading comments because of some vulgar language, and I do want to reveal interesting comments from thoughtful individuals.

If folks wish to have their comments used as a post because they do not want to view disgusting language, they can Email them to me and I will use them as a post. I don't reveal Email addresses and they are kept secure.

I would like to also thank "Mellonhead" for some thoughtful comments, too. I do hope "Mellonhead" foregoes commenting again from that particular XXXXXXX because it only means that XXXXX will comment more.

I save all comments. I can look at the source of all comments, too. I am not a "cable splicer" as some may suspect I am. I actually deal with digital information streams and computers. I know the difference between dynamic and static I.P. addresses, and I am not as stupid as at least one XXXXX believes I am.

Here is a wonderful comment I think is worthwhile, important, and illustrate a big point. If folks think polution is bad now, wait until the Berths 97-109 project is built:

"Ponte Vista. I hope the L.A. City Planning Commission, Ms. Janice Hahn and City Council members will take into consideration the fact that San Pedro is a Port City when determining the future of the next generation.

We have more cars per capita in California than any state as California relies on petroleum for 96% of its transportation fuel needs. In San Pedro alone it is estimated that over 37,000 cars pass through Western Avenue on a daily basis while 43 percent of all container imports that come into the United States enter the Los Angeles and Long Beach ports. A total of 14 million containers on a yearly basis within these two ports.

Los Angeles County officials recently projected a 400% increase in goods movement through the ports over the next 30 years (L.A. Times - L.A. County offers inland plan dated July 12, 2007).

An estimated 1,200 deaths per year are attributed to what is called goods movement in this state. Meaning the diesel emissions from the transport of imports into our ports, the vast majority of them in Southern California. In 2005, the California Air Resources Board estimates 2,400 Californians die prematurely each year from the air pollution caused by the shipment of goods across the state. Many families children, who have asthma, must continue to suffer the effects of the pollution caused by the transportation of goods on ships, trains, and trucks.

Honorable Councilwomen Janice Hahn at one of the City Council meetings, said the emission pollution created at the Ports affects people within a 15-mile radius. It should be noted that the distance from the Port at the intersection of John S. Gibson and the northbound 110 Freeway entrance to the front of the proposed Ponte Vista site at Green Hills Drive is approximately 2.9 miles. On July 6, 2007 Ms. Janice Hahn also said that 350,000 students missed school days because of cargo related pollution during the City Council meeting. This also affects tourists, San Pedrans and surrounding cities.

The question the elected officials should ask themselves is, does the revenue that the project will generate out weigh the health of the public."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.