Saturday, July 28, 2007

When Bob and I are Wrong

Bob is wrong, I feel, on many issues and of course, with his plans for Ponte Vista.

I have been wrong many times to, but I contend when I am wrong, OUR community benefits.

Perhaps Bob and I need to continue to be wrong.

I was wrong when I debated an R1 supporter early on, who wondered why I was thinking that there was absolutely no way the current zoning could be kept at Ponte Vista. I was wrong and I believe now that I am correct in thinking the current zoning can remain at the site.

I was wrong when I considered that a road from Western to the new Mary Star campus must be provided. Now I know that it probably was never a good idea to subject other drivers on Western the opportunity to share that road in the morning and afternoon with 16,17, and 18-year old drivers, sometimes racing to get to classes.

I was definitely wrong when I thought the CAC would create two reports, one recommending a range in numbers of units at Ponte Vista, and the other demanding R1 zoning remain at Ponte Vista.

I guess I was wrong with all my attempt to find compromise with "XXX". He/she never really lowered the number of units over a three month period and it seems he/she probably never will. I was probably very wrong engaging him/her for as long as I did, but I felt that I needed to try to find some number between 429 and 1500 that I could live with.

I don't feel I am wrong for WISHING for some senior housing at Ponte Vista, but so many others believe I am wrong for that wish, so I included it.

Perhaps I am wrong for not listing facts, figures, articles, findings, and lawsuits involving many of the past developments and personal housing issues Bob Bisno has been involved with. I haven't taken the time or energy to list all of them, but you are all welcome to do your own research on what has happened in Berkeley, Santa Monica, where Mr. Bisno lives, and facts about all the companies he is or has been involved with.

My only defense for my being wrong, is that when I am wrong, OUR community wins. Some of my guesses have been incorrect and we now have a 10-1-1 vote by the CAC totally rejecting Bob's plans for the 61.53 acres. In speculating that there would be a majority report calling for a range of units at Ponte Vista, boy was I wrong on that and it turned out to be an 8-4 vote calling for keeping the density at Ponte Vista equal to R1.

I certainly was wrong at the very beginning of the CAC's mission when I tried to be as objective as I could when dealing with Bob and his organization. I found out early and often that I personally could not trust much, if anything coming from Bisno Development.

I don't think that I am wrong now in suggesting that Robert H. Bisno and his companies, agents, lobbyists, and employees will probably play hardball with all of us, including me and the great members of R Neighborhoods Are 1.

Elise Swanson was quoted as saying that there are about 15,416 supporters of Ponte Vista in the community. I think it about time we consider those supporters in some light.

Would I be wrong to consider many supporters of Ponte Vista as being "compensated supporters"? BDC puts on events throughout the year where they invite supporters and potential buyers to check things out.

It appears that BDC rented out the Cabrillo Marine Aquarium to host a function for invited guests.

Prior to at least several CAC meetings, supporters were either fed dinner at the Hotel or given vouchers for meals at other restaurants.

If someone gives you something of value like entertainment, food, goodies and the like, wouldn't you feel that was compensation of some kind in order to gain and/or keep your support?

I don't know all the legal stuff, but I feel that if someone gives me something attempting to gain or keep my support, I would have to consider that "compensation"

Would I be wrong in suggesting that many folks who support Bob's plans have benefited in some way for their support? Would "compensated supporters" be a fair name for many, but not all of the folks Elise and others claim to be supporters of Ponte Vista?

I am to the point, tongue in cheek, where I don't know if it is better for OUR community when I am right or when I am wrong. Perhaps I have the advantage Bob doesn't have;

Whether I am right or wrong, OUR community wins. I haven't seen anything that Bob has proposed by having such a large development in northwest San Pedro, that could be considered right for OUR community.

Senior housing is a wish I have, a public road from Western to Mary Star is something many folks wish for or demand, but the expense all of us would eventually have to pay in order to have those two items is just too expensive for OUR community, I feel. I don't think I am wrong in suggesting many, many folks in OUR community feel the same way, too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may get your wish for some senior housing with a project that is planned for R-1 density and someone actually uses the double density bonus. We'll have to wait and see.

M Richards said...

Thank you Anonymous 10:10 AM for your comment.
The density bonus Bob threatens us with is for a development of single-family housing. IF he tries to go through with that density bonus, approved for single-family housing, what makes anyone believe that he would then provide any "community benefits" like the road to Mary Star and/or traffic mitigation and/or a public park.

Density bonus with single-family housing means that he would pack up to 722-724 single-family units onto the buildable land within the 61.53 acre-site and that would not leave room for anything else.

I hope folks know that any density bonus Bob threatens anyone with is just that, a threat. There is no way seniors will want to sell their big old houses, spend about 500K or so for any decent sized condo at Ponte Vista and want to share any part of the site with designated low income homebuyers.

Bob did what Bob wanted to in threatening us with density bonus. He did it one time in public as far as I know, on June 18 and it appears that his threat is his only defense now to try and force his wishes on a community that proves time and again, OUR community doesn't want such a large development!
MW

"R1" means single-family housing, density bonus or no density bonus
Bob can't build multiple-family units in an area zoned R1.

Unknown said...

Bisno and company can spin all they want--they took a big hit the other night. If R1er's just keep the pressure on and constant they can't lose.

Me n' The Boss stopped and looked at the senior housing over in Torrance by the Souplantation. It's called Village Court. $600K for a 2br, 2ba 997sqft. condo next to a fire station. A beautiful place--but too small for me.

Many of the merchants located on Western Ave. in Rancho Palos Verdes advertise as being in a place called RPV/San Pedro. Maybe we should call the area on the west side of Western RPV/San Pedro and on the east side LA/San Pedro. To shorten it up we can just say we're from "Pedro". Just go back to the time, not too long ago when WE ALL had a San Pedro mailing address and the San Pedro Post Office delivered all our mail

Anonymous said...

I’m curious to know how much $$$ Mr. Robert Bisno is spending on his public relations firm “TomTomlin Associates.” If anyone knows please let us know!
http://www.tomtomlinpr.com/consensus.html#professional

M Richards said...

To the person who left a comment on Sunday evening,

I like what you wrote but you included a URL that brought up a warning as far as Publish or Reject goes.

It seems that when a comment includes a URL, a warning appears.

I like what you wrote but I would like you to resend what you wrote without any URL.

I have read up on the Web site for Tom Tomlin and he is not the only lobbyist or counselor Bob uses.

In fact, probably the most well known lobbyist in the City of Los Angeles has shown up at several of the CAC meetings.

Please be sure that Bob will hire just about anyone who will advance his cause.

Having all the lobbyists in the world and paying every dime you borrow doesn't mean you are correct or your plans should be approved.
MW

Anonymous said...

Visit this link and see firsthand as to what services a public relations firm, TomTomlin & Associates, can provide for a developer, like Ponte Vista.

“TomTomlin Associates develops a methodology that is unique to each project. However there are several key elements that are critical to generating consensus from all facets of the community and - ultimately - obtaining project entitlements. Our firm works in concert with some of the nation's top consultants in such areas as engineering, land use, environmental, economic, traffic, polling, lobbying, and telephone and direct mail services. Traditionally, TomTomlin Associates will:
·Develop, manage and grow a community-based support group
·Organize the community in support of project for all public hearings
·Create effective marketing materials on the client's project
·Garner and publicize significant endorsements of the project from high-profile individuals and organizations
·Organize and implement ongoing letter writing campaigns
·Strategize media campaigns
·Develop and place print and broadcast advertising
·Write and distribute project newsletters
·Create and coordinate special events for support groups and special on-site events
·Identify and secure speaking engagements”

The link worked well. Try again!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Richards,

Who is this well known lobbyist in Los Angeles that you alluded to?

M Richards said...

That is a reasonable question, anonymous 10:34 and I will answer it.

I saw Mr. Steven Afriat at several of the CAC meetings.

Whether he is directly connected with any lobbying efforts for Bob Bisno is something I do not know, but if believe that EMG Properties LLC (fka Trans Action Financial Corporation) is a client of Mr. Afriat's and that company still has any dealings with Bob Bisno and/or any of his associates, then you may create your own opinion.

It is funny to go online and read the reports from the City's Ethics Commission concerning Mr. Afriat. By reading the reports it appears he makes no money in his lobbying efforts and spends zero dollars on behalf of his clients, EMG Properties LLC being a client listed in the reports.

Claiming the Mr. Afriat is a lobbyist for Mr. Bisno and Ponte Vista is something I cannot prove, but seeing him at the meetings gives me the impression that Mr. Afriat is concerned about the Ponte Vista development.

Being concerned about the Ponte Vista development is something we all should be, in my opinion.

Incedently, I am trying to understand the judicial foreclosure trial notes and outcome of the issues related to the dealings in Berkeley. I have to admit though, that not being a lawyer has me at a big disadvantage and it seems it will take me some time to read through the .pdf documents and the .doc documents I have saved.

Perhaps if a lawyer with some free time wants to google Trans Action Financial Corporation and look at all the proceedings notes and appeals, they can give us a better clue as to what transpired up in Northern California.
MW