Thursday, July 19, 2007

First, Let's Raise Our Voices and Get a Little Cranky

Do you oppose the recent actions by the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce?

Perhaps we should begin our commenting about what the Chamber did by raising our voices. How about when we enter a business that is a member of the Chamber, we ask to speak to the manager and/or owner? Since we all may have different opinions and our own thoughts on the matter, I think it is reasonable, responsible, realistic, and respectful for each and every person who does not agree with the Chamber's endorsement of Ponte Vista, to let folks know what you think.

What may happen if 5,000-10,000 customers, or even 40% of customers raise their voices in opposition to the managers and/or business owners? How many folks might need to complain long enough and loud enough before Chamber members get a feeling that support for Bob's plan creates more tension within their businesses.

How might employees of businesses feel about what the Chamber did. How might they want to signal their opposition to what the Chamber did?

Along with speaking to each and every manager/owner, I think letters to the editor of newspapers might also be a good start....by hundreds and thousands of folks.

Also individuals might consider writing to each and every business they deal with and sending a copy of that letter to the Chamber of Commerce.

As I have written in a comment, I love San Pedro and so many of the businesses in San Pedro. Personally, I do not feel a boycott of businesses is in order. I can not speak for any other member of the R1 group or anyone else, but I can't imagine not going into to The Whale and Ale. I do think letting the good Mr. Andrew Silber know that I am not pleased with the endorsement by the Chamber and perhaps writing a personal letter to him with a copy to the Chamber is something that can be done. Mr. Silber is just one of many Chamber members who might just get a little fed up with numerous complaints directed to the Chamber through him, and or other business owners, that they may wish to reconsider their support of Bob's outrageous plan.

Mr. Silber and many, many other Chamber members have done their best to review the plans and they did take their time and effort to finally come up with what many folks believe is an incorrect endorsement. But to not be willing to eat some fish and chips from his restaurant is not something I would do. I use Mr. Silber only as an example of a business owner and member of the Chamber of Commerce. I have dined and will continue to dine at The Whale and Ale and I do recommend it to anyone for its great food and comfortable atmosphere.

So I do feel it is high time to raise our voices, grab our pens or use our keyboards to state how we feel about the Chamber's recent actions. But I hope we can do this without hurting any businesses and the employees who belong to OUR community. Rattling the cages is a good thing sometimes, letting the tigers loose, can be a real problem, in my opinion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no problem boycotting businesses that put $$$ above the community. Although I do like the whale n ale, there are some businesses on the list that are all about the mighty dollar.